Rural Electric Youth Tour
The Youth Tour offers students an in-depth exposure into the electric cooperative network while exploring our nation's capital. Expenses, including airfare, lodging, meals, and all admission fees, will be paid for by San Miguel Power Association. Students will come away with a better understanding of their state and national governments, as well as San Miguel Power Association, the Colorado Rural Electric Association (CREA), Tri-State Generation &Transmission (Tri-State) and the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association.
Students will visit many sites such as: CREA, Tri-State, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and Mount Vernon. They will also dance the night away on a dance/dinner cruise down the Potomac River. Students will visit historic monuments and museums, meet with U.S. Representatives and Senators, and join hundreds of young people from across the country to meet and mingle on Rural Electric Youth Day. Over 1,400 students attended last year's tour - all sponsored by their local electric cooperatives.
2018: June 7 - 14
Students must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Be a current high school sophomore or junior (during the 2017 - 2018 school year).
- Be between the ages 16 - 18 as of January 1, 2018.
- Live in a household that receives electricity from San Miguel Power Association. Your parents or guardians must be members of San Miguel Power.
- Return your completed page 1 of the 2018 Rural Electric Youth Tour Application (Winner(s) will be required to fill out additional application pages.)
by email or to San Miguel Power (see address below) by the close of business on Monday, December 18, 2017.
- Submit Either:
- an infographic (covering one 8.5" x 11" page, including text and images) see www.customermagnetism.com for inspiration
- or a 1 -3 minute video (Submit a hyperlink pointing to video hosted on 3rd party (YouTube, Dropbox, etc) site)
Either of these should answer the following prompt:
Explain the role of the board of directors at a rural electric cooperative and why the board is important.
- (See this page for resources to aid your research.)
SMPA Youth Programs
c/o Alex Shelley
PO Box 1150
Ridgway, CO 81432